Tidying up a course in v2.4
This page is a checklist of a few things to do to sort out your course after importing from 1.9 or 2.2
First things first
- You will need to have a teacher role
- You will need to be aware of the location of the important links in the top menu bar
- You will need to know where the Edit mode on links are
- You need to know about moving things around using the Move icon.
- You will need to be able to find the Main course page in your Moodle course
- You will need to understand the idea of a Moodle section
Basically, there is a new section naming functionality, a new "One section per page" course format and a new Course menu block.
To get your course set up, you need to
- check the course settings
- cut down the size of section zero (which appears at the top of every page)
- rename the sections
- add in a course menu block.
You have a new drag and drop functionality to make this a little easier. Detailed help follows.
The detailed checklist
- Check the course settings.
Course Administration > Edit settings
The key items in Course settings.
- Course full name
- Course short name
- Course summary (optional)
- Format (set to Topics)
- Course layout (set to Show one section per page)
- Reduce the size of Sections zero.
This appears at the top of all pages in the site. Too big a section zero means a lot of scrolling. Move all items you do not really need out of there. (Use the Move icon)
If necesary, add in another section, and name it Introduction.
- (Re)name the sections in your course.
These should be short and informative. They will be the links in your course menu.
How to name sections
- Add in a Course menu block.
Your aim: a nice set of links in the course menu with the names of each section.
- Editing ON > Add block > Course menu
- Move the Course menu to the left, and top
- The menu links will contain the section names. If needed, rename the sections.
Congratulations!! you are ready to go!!