My hypothesis is that people feel safer buying illicit substances on the darkweb. I want to research this because as part of the course last year I had to do a report on using tor which lead me to researching the darkweb and I found in my research that this is one of the main reasons people use the dark web.
Today we connected up the computers to a peer to peer (P2P) network. This came with many problems. First of all we couldn't get the computers on the network but this was solved when we realised the witch had to be turned on. Secondly we couldn't get out computers to connect together even through ping which we worked out was due to the firewall blocking the other computers. Then we still could not get our computers to join the home-group which was not a problem we could solve so we moved onto the work-group which still had problems. We couldn't get the computers to pick up folders from other computers which had been set to share and when we tried to access other computers we had to provide a use name and password which was no good because that would mean having to set up an account on each computer that the password could be shared. This would have worked but been inconvenient. We found that you could change a setting which stopped a password being required therefore allowing access to the shared network folders.
Currently we have not been able to set up a home-group and we are unsure why.
Last week the main thing we worked on for the networking assessment was fixing faulty cables which caused us some troubles. First of all at some points during testing various wires where open but then during the next test they where closed. Tom however has found this is because of faulty biscuits. The problem I worked the most on last week was a cat cable which had some of the wires open. On inspection the wiring at the patch panel looked fine but after rewiring the biscuit end of the cable several times we re-inspected the patch panel and realised the wires where only sitting in the patch panel biscuit because they had been cut at the inside of the biscuit rather than the outside. We then re-wired the patch panel end and this solved our problem.
For the rest of the day I made patch panels to connect the pc's to the network which I have recently found out despite several of them working last week none of these work now. I am wondering if the cables where stood on or squished at some point during the week since they where made.
Last Friday for the first half of the day I was the team leader for the networking project. There was only three of us in class that day (me, Archie and Rhys), I thought we worked well together as a team. The mistake I made as team leader was focusing on one room at a time because this meant during my turn we mostly finished the larger of the two rooms and because of this for the second half of the day (with Archie as team leader) we had already wired up the ethernet ports and the task that needed to be done was tidying the cables in the smaller room. Unfortunately there was not enough space in the room for all three of us to work at once and meant most of the time one person was working while the other two tried to find something to keep busy. If I was to do this job again I would take on board Tom's suggestion and have had one person in each room working and the third person assisting these two when necessary. Also I would have not left as much slack on the cat cables. I did this because I was worried we would make mistakes and have to remove some of the cables length but I left too much however, when these cables are trimmed the trimmings could be kept and made into the patch leads we will need to wire computers to the network. Also thanks to this extra slack we made less progress than we should have because we could not start wiring the switch until the cables had been tidied and cut to length so that they where not too long and messy behind the switch cabinet.